Friday, September 17, 2004

The "C" word...

The following thread in the precussion community forums addresses an issue that I have become familiar with when I worked at my last job librarian of the Canadian Music Centre. The "C" word is copyright and in particular the right to perform and/or record copyright music. All the corps that I marched with and almost all the corps I know today use music written by composer not associated with the corps that has been arranged for the corps. Legally this means that the composer needs to be consulted and negotiated with in order to use these works in a drum corps show.

Some things are different in Canada where SOCAN is the only copyright organization however I believe if a Canadian corps goes to the U.S. then U.S. copyright applies to them while they are there.

I find there is a lot of misunderstanding about copyright and some of the posters in this thread are quite knowledgable. This is an issue that directors cannot ignore anymore. Hopefully ODCA (http://www.odca.org ) has some copyright material for Ontario corps to peruse.

PercussionCommunity.com :: View topic - WGI and the "C" word...

No comments: