Monday, December 20, 2004

Proposed DCI rules for 2005 [i.e. rules changes]

The proposed rules changes are on the DCI.org web site here. Don't let Mr. Hopkins' bad spelling and grammar put you off.

There is a whole set of forums set up to discuss them on Drum Corps Planet here. Let the flames commence!

Here's a choice bit from the proposal to allow electronic instruments, taken completely out of context I admit:

Yesterday --- The Classic Audience of 1975 that continues to dominate some of today’s conversation will not like this. These people want drum corps the way they remember it and I am very appreciative of this thought process. I too like drum corps as it was and is, but I am also aware that something needs to change.
This addition would change that product. The problem in catering to these people --- they are a diminishing group in terms of numbers. Personally, I love them, I want to make them leap from their seats, but for the sake of tomorrow, and we cannot use this class of people only as the opinion makers for our performing groups.


Thanks Mr. Hopkins. That opinion explains the work of the DCI Board of Directors recently. :P

No comments: