Friday, February 27, 2004

Gee outa da way!

The Bare Naked Ladies played Toronto last night. See: Mid-life Ladies aging well

As many of you Ambassador alums who marched in '80 and later probably know Tyler Stewart is an Ambassador who marched in 1980, '81 and '82. I remember I had a rather disastrous brush with him when the band was still relatively new. At least it was new enough that Andy Creaghan was still at UofToronto Music at the same time I was there.

I was at a bar in Toronto one evening (yes Andy, that is hard to believe) with my friend and fellow horn player Darcy when he recognized some of the 'Ladies there. It was just Andy and Tyler there. Darcy and Andy were friends at the time. It came out that I knew Tyler and I was prompted to greet him. Unfortunately I was a more excitable fellow then and the best I could come up with was: "Tyler! You so-and-so!". Except is wasn't "so-and-so" that I said.

I am not sure what I was thinking. Perhaps I thought I should attempt some Drum Corps style camaraderie via strange humour. At any rate, Tyler took this wrong, if there is a right way to take it. I should have apologized profusely but unfortunately I ducked out like a coward. Tyler and I probably never would have crossed paths again but I am always reminded of this incident when I hear them on the radio and feel badly.

It's too bad. I remember I was happy and proud of Tyler and I wanted to somehow communicate that to him, but the moment passed and now I doubt he's in much need of support from me. I ought to buy a few 'Ladies albums if I feel that badly I suppose.

If you should somehow read this Tyler, please accept my sincere apologies. I don't know what I was thinking.

- Sam

No comments: